You can upload documents and link them to activities and gift aid declarations on a constituents timeline - this article explains how to do that - that way of working is ok if you have a small number of documents to upload.
If you have a lot of documents to upload and link you may find it better to use the file uploader to upload a batch of documents and then link them to activities or gift aid declarations - this article explains how that is done.
You would do this if you had downloaded a list of constituents to produce a mail merge and then wanted a copy of the letter produced. (Uploading letters)
Using the file uploader you can link documents by
- Uploading an Excel spreadsheet
- This creates new activities or gift aid declarations
- In addition to the details of the new activities or gift aid declarations the spreadsheet must include the name of a document that should be linked to the activity or gift aid declaration
- The name of the document to be linked should be included in the spreadsheet in a column called 'AttachedDocument'
- When the spreadsheet is uploaded Donorfy will look for a previously uploaded document with the document name given in the AttachedDocument column
- if a document is found it will be linked to the new activity or gift aid declaration
- if a document is not found Donorfy will check subsequent documents as they are uploaded and attempt to match them to document names from spreadsheets previously uploaded
- Manually upload and link documents to existing activities or gift aid declarations - this can be more efficient way of finding and linking documents than going to each constituents timeline
How to Upload Documents
- If you want to
- Link using a spreadsheet the documents you upload to link need to have a unique name - this could be based on the type of document, constituent number and date, for example if you were uploading pdfs of gift aid declarations your file name might be in the format GAD<Constituent Number>_<Year> e.g. GAD1234_2017.pdf
- Manually linked documents do not need to have a unique name - but having a unique or meaningful name will be useful when you are linking the documents
- In Donorfy go to Actions | File Upload and click on the 'Linked Documents' tab and upload the documents by dropping them into the shaded upload area
- The documents will be shown in the 'To be Resolved' list - this means they are waiting to be linked to an activity or gift aid declaration - they can be linked by unloading a spreadsheet or manually linked.
Manually Linking Documents
From a document in the 'To be Resolved' list, click on the 'Find constituent for this document' button and find the correct constituent
Once you have found the constituent you can choose either the activity or gift aid declaration that the document should be linked to - see example below - activities and gift aid declarations from the last 3 years are included in the list
Once you have selected the correct item from the list press the 'Link Document to Selected Item' button - the document will be linked and will be removed from the 'To be resolved' list.
Using a Spreadsheet to Link Documents
Create your spreadsheet of activities or gift aid declaration as you would for any other file upload - this article has some more information - include the name of the document you want linked in the 'AttachedDocument' column - an example file in shown below
Upload the spreadsheet - Donorfy will check the spreadsheet in the normal way - assuming there are no errors the spreadsheet can be applied to update Donorfy - a previously uploaded document with the name given in the spreadsheet is
- found it will be linked to the new activity or gift aid declaration
- not found Donorfy will check subsequent documents as they are uploaded and attempt to match them to document names from spreadsheets previously uploaded