Connection Lists can help you find and understand the links between your constituents - to learn more lists see this article.
Typically it is a good idea to add a filter to your list to find the connections starting from one 'main' constituent - to do this add a filter using Constituent Number e.g. Constituent Number Equals 100 - the list would then include connections from constituent number 100 working down through levels of connection.
The connection level indicates how close the connection is between the main constituent and the constituent in the Connected To Constituent Description column.
Connection level can be
- 1st which means its a direct connection - e.g. John Smith works for ABC Ltd
- 2nd which means a connection from the main constituent to another constituent via a mutual connection
- e.g. John Smith works for ABC Ltd and ABC Ltd also employs Jane Brown - so John Smith has a 2nd level connection to Jane Brown via ABC Ltd
- Connected Via shows the constituent who is the mutual connection - in this example that would be ABC Ltd
- 3rd which means a connection via 2 mutual connections
- e.g. if John Smith works for ABC Ltd, ABC Ltd employ Jane Brown, Jane Brown went to school with Kim Martin so Kim Martin has a 3rd level connection to John Smith
- Connected via would show both ABC Ltd & Jane Brown
The Connection Strength column is the total of the connection strengths - e.g. for a 2nd level connection from John Smith who works for ABC Ltd (connection strength 3) and ABC Ltd also employs Jane Brown (connection strength 2) the connection strength would be the sum of the strength between John Smith and ABC Ltd and ABC Ltd and Jane Brown - i.e. 5.
The breakdown of the Connection Strength is given by the columns Connection Strength 1, 2 & 3 which show the connect strength at each level - in the example above Connection Strength 1 would be 3 & Connection Strength 2 would be 2.
When the connection level is 1st the other columns available in the list - such as address, financial totals etc - are from the 'main' constituent.
When the connection level is 2nd or 3rd the other columns available in the list - such as address, financial totals etc - are from the 'connected to' constituent.