Gift Aid FAQs
How do I import donations against which I cannot claim Gift Aid?
Use the donations worksheet in the data preparation template - make sure that ‘Exclude from Gift Aid Claim’ is set to Yes - see this for more information
How do I enter donations against which I cannot claim Gift Aid?
Enter the donation using Add Transaction - make sure the allocation(s) for the transactions have potentially gift aidable set to no
How do I see what’s about to be claimed?
Under Financial click on the Gift Aid option -
- the Active Claim tab will show the claim that is currently being built up
- the Ready to Claim tab will show the claim that is ready to submit to HMRC
Why is a donation that I'm expecting to be in the Active Claim not there?
Check the eligibility criteria in this article.
How do I remove a donation from the active claim or the ready to claim?
Find the donation in the Claim Details - click on ReclaimStatus entry - this will normally be ‘Ready’ - choose
- Deferred to exclude the donation from this claim but potentially include it in a later claim
- Blocked to exclude it from the current and all future claims
What about overseas donors?
You can include overseas donors in your gift aid claim - you have to make sure the country on the donors personal address is set correctly - i.e. to the country they live in - so Donorfy knows not to check that they have a valid UK postcode.
If the country you need is not in the drop down list of countries you can add it via settings.
How do I view the details of previous claims?
Under Financial click on the Gift Aid option - click on the Previous Claims tab - select a previous claim - the details of the claim will then be shown.
How do I reverse a previously claimed donation?
If you have reclaimed tax against a donation and later need to reverse the claim against that donation you should
- Find the donation in your previous claim
- Change its status from ‘Claimed’ to ‘Reverse’
- When your active claim is refreshed you will have to enter the reason for the adjustment
Correcting Errors that prevent gift aid being claimed against a donation
If a donation cannot be claimed against it will have a reclaim status of Error and be excluded from the claim. To find out what the error is use the column selector button - highlighted in yellow below - to include the ErrorDetails column - as shown in green - this will enable to find out what the problem is.
When you correct the donation will be included when the claim is refreshed.
Note that the
- The name included in the claim is the taxpayer’s name as entered on the gift aid declaration,
- Donorfy will use an address associated with the personal profile, if that doesn’t exist we will look at the other profile then the work profile - if we cannot find a first line of address and post code tax cannot be reclaimed.
- For more information about correcting error see this article
When do the corrections get applied?
Any corrections you make that affect donations in the active claim will be applied to the claim when it is updated overnight.
Any corrections you make that affect donations in the 'ready to claim' will not be applied until the donations are included in the next active claim. Donations with errors in the 'ready to claim' are not submitted to HMRC however they will get re-processed into the active claim - and at that stage the data corrections you have made (e.g. titles etc) will be applied so they will be claimable.
How do I know if HMRC have processed my claim?
Every day we ask HMRC for the status of outstanding claim(s) you have submitted - the information we get back from HMRC can be found on the History tab and on the Previous Claims tab
When HMRC have successfully processed your claim you will find an entry on the history tab saying "Claim submitted on <date> was processed successfully by HMRC" - HMRC should then credit your bank account with the amount of the claim.
If there was a problem processing your claim the entry will say "Claim submitted on <date> was rejected by HMRC"
What happens if the submission to HMRC fails?
If there is a problem submitting a claim then
- The claim appears in the Previous Claims list - depending on the response from HMRC the status code will show error or rejected
- If you select claim further details of the problem (returned by HMRC) will shown in the Claim Details
- The History tab will also show any information returned by HMRC
- The donations on the claim that failed will be automatically added to the Active Claim when it is next updated
Fixing Submission Problems
A claim can be rejected for a variety of reasons - some problems can be corrected in Donorfy - for example your Gift Aid settings are wrong or there is a problem with a donation.
The most common setting error is Submit Gift Aid Claims to live Gateway is set to No. The claim will be rejected if this is set to No.
Other problems may need you to get in contact with HMRC.