Show in Menu
If this option is selected it means that the list will be visible as a sub-menu item under the Constituents link in the left-hand navigation area (click the + button to reveal them).
List type ("This List is...")
A list can be one of three types:
- Filtered - this means the List gets its results purely based on the conditions in the Filter. Therefore the results are dynamic, according to when you use the List.
- Manual - the means the List gets its results purely from those people who are tagged as being opted into this List. The tagging is done manually by adding the appropriate List Tag for this List to each Constituent that you wish to be included. No Filter capability is provided.
- Combined - this is a combination of Filterered and List Tags. For example a Newsletter List would include those who meet the filter conditions, PLUS those who have been tagged for inclusion in List Overrides, minus those who have been tagged for exclusion in List Overrides.
Contact details to use
This describes how you intend to use the List, and contains powerful features to make sure that the constituent's wishes are respected when the purpose of a List is for outbound comms.
This helps to ensure you communicate with them at their preferred location, by their preferred method for the various reasons you communicate with them. NOTE: depending on how this is used it this may result in constituents being omitted from the List results, even though they meet the requirements for inclusion, due to their communication preferences.
- if the List is for internal purposes, e.g. just to count your Constituents of a certain type, then set this field to "Ignore communication preferences - give me all details". It will show all constituents (according to the filter) and all contact details, which is fine because you're not going to use the results for outbound communications. The result set contains all contact details - all addresses, phone numbers, emails etc for each constituent.
- if the purpose of the List is for some kind of outbound communication, choose "Default - use default contact details" - the List will include people based on their default communication preferences. This means some constituents would be excluded from the List results if their default comms preference is "do not contact". The result set contains the preferred contact details for each constituent on the List, according to their preference.
- if the purpose of the List is for a specific kind of communication - e.g. it's a fundraising campaign - you should select one of those options - e.g. "Use Default, but apply any exceptions for Campaigns". This ensures that you will respect their wishes. The result set contains the preferred contact details for each constituent on the List, according to their preference.
Export - separate channels, and create Activities
Additional features are available when export Constituent Lists:
- create separate files for each communication channel - when selected will create separate CSV files for each channel in the List results.
- Update Activity History - when selected, this will create new Activities on the Timeline for every Constituent in the List results.
Mailchimp integration tab
Use this tab when syncing to a Mailchimp List. See this article for more info.