This article has some suggestions to help solve problems getting web widgets working.
Donorfy displays very limited error information in the web widget - this is to avoid providing information to anyone trying to hack your web widgets - to find more information sign in to Donorfy and look at the Errors & Info tab on the Online Donations page under Financial
Only One Widget per Page
You should setup your giving pages so you only have one widget on a page - if you have two widgets on the same page - even if one is hidden - the widgets will not work properly.
Check for Errors Logged to the Console of your Browser
- Start your web browser, open the developer tools and display the console - go to the page containing your web widget and see if any errors are logged into the Console - errors can prevent the widget from initialising and then it will not work - similar to the example below
- Often the errors relate to third-party libraries - e.g. jQuery - if you see an error relating to jQuery try adding a reference to it as the first line in the <head> of the page - as per the example below - you might need help from whoever looks after your website to resolve these.
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="https://az763204.vo.msecnd.net/wwcss/stripepayments.2015.1.css">
Are you using Squarespace?
There are some specific steps to getting a widget working in Squarespace see this article
Invalid Settings In Errors & Info
If you see a message like
- 'Invalid GoCardless Settings' or 'Invalid Stripe Settings', or
- The provided key 'sk_live_***********' does not have access to account 'acct_xxxxxxxxxx' (or that account does not exist). Application access may have been revoked
Are you using the right Stripe Publishable Key
If you see a message similar to
- No such token: tok_1Dixxxxx a similar object exists in test mode - you are using a test publishable key - see 'Stripe Publishable Keys and Test Card Numbers' below
- No such token: tok_1Dexxxxxxx - i.e. a similar message to above but without the 'a similar object exists in test mode' on the end - this may mean the publishable key you have put into your widget is not from the Stripe account you have connected to - you could try disconnecting from Stripe and reconnecting to be sure which account you are connected to
Wrong Page Displayed After Sign up
If after signing up for a direct debit your see the generic Donorfy error page at https://donorfy.com/payment-error - see end of this article for an example - it means there is a problem with the URLs in the web widget settings - see below - this might be, the URL
- Is missing
- Does not have a full address - e.g. /ThankYou instead of https://www.example.org/thankYou
- The URL contains
Stripe Publishable Keys and Test Card Numbers
Web widgets cannot use test Stripe publishable keys - you must use your live publishable key in the widget set up - see example below
Then if you use a test Stripe card number - e.g. 4242424242424242
- you will see an error logged similar to this 'No such token: tok_xxx; a similar object exists in test mode, but a live mode key was used to make this request.'
- This message means your web widget is probably working but you will need to use a real card number to perform a full end to end test.
- If you use a real card you can cancel the transaction in the Stripe dashboard if needed
Error when Donate button is pressed
If you get an error similar to 'There is a problem with your payment - Invalid widgetId' or 'Invalid payment owner' then you need to check the widget Id in your hidden field
The Widget HTML code generated by Donorfy contains the widget Id in a hidden field - something like this - where the x's will be replaced with letters or numbers
<input type="hidden" id="WidgetId" value="xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx" />
If you delete and re-add a widget it will get a new widget id
If the widget HTML on your web site the widget id is all zeros (e.g. <input type="hidden" id="WidgetId" value="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000">) or missing you need to copy the HTML into your website
If the HTML in the Donorfy settings has a widget id that is all zeros you should re-generate the widget HTML
Your page should use https:// not http://
Your page should have an SSL certificate - i.e. its address should start https
Other things to check
- Don't use iFrames with GoCardless - GoCardless web widgets cannot be contained in an iFrame
- Don't have Stripe & GoCardless widgets on the same page
Example of Generic Donorfy Error Page