This article explains how to update existing transactions using the File Uploader.
The transactions you want to update are identified by the transaction number. If the transaction number is for the...
- Payment part of a transaction you can update
- Any fields relating to the payment part of the transaction
- If the payment has one allocation any fields relating to the allocation part of the transaction
- Allocation part of a transaction you can update
- Any fields relating to the payment part of the transaction to which the allocation belongs
- Any fields relating to allocation with the transaction number
- You cannot undo updates made by the file uploader.
It is a good idea to download a list of the donations you plan to update, then if you need to undo an update you will have the original values to apply via another update setting the values back.
- Remove any columns from the worksheet that you do not want to update.
This is because if a column exists in the worksheet which is empty the corresponding field in Donorfy will be cleared.
- The update process can only update a record once within the upload file, i.e duplicate entries will cause an error.
Performing the Update
To update transactions, you will need to:
Prepare the worksheet
- Download the Donorfy Updates Data Preparation Template from here: Donations Update.xlsx
- Read the Important information text and then delete it
- In the new worksheet remove any columns you do not need - i.e. you don't want to change the values in those fields - IMPORTANT - If a column exists in this worksheet which is empty the corresponding field in Donorfy will be cleared
Adding data to the worksheet
- As you need transaction numbers to identify the transactions to update a good approach is to use a transaction list to download the list of transaction numbers - add any filters you need to your list, make sure you included the Transaction Number column and then download the list
- Copy the transaction numbers from your download list into your worksheet
- Fill in the columns with the new values you want for each field you want to change
- Note: Campaign and Channels fields are not changeable where the Transaction is linked to an RPI. This is because the data is drawn from the RPI itself.
- Empty Cells and Clearing Fields
- It is important to remove any columns from the worksheet that you do not wish to change.
- Ensure that there are no empty cells within your selection unless you are wanting the delete the data from them.
This is because if a column exists in your uploaded file but cells in the worksheet column do not contain any values then the file uploader will clear the data in the updated transaction. However, the uploader will not allow you to clear mandatory fields - including amounts, quantity, date received, campaign, payment method, product, and fund.
- Double-check the data, correct as required, and all columns present are those that are to be updated
- Once your worksheet is completed, save it as an Excel file (.xlsx) and upload it to Donorfy for checking and applying
- Empty Cells and Clearing Fields
Correcting any errors
After you upload a file Donorfy will check it - if there are problems which prevent the data in the file being imported, a message will be displayed. To correct errors please see Fixing Problems in an Uploaded File